Thursday, April 16, 2009

Keisa Brown Collection


"I've Been Lonely For So Long," the first song on Keisa Brown's collection on Malaco Records, hit me hard the first time I heard it. Still, I had a strange feeling that I'd heard it before.

No wonder. The arrangement for Brown's rendition of the tune is almost exactly the same as the Stax Records version Frederick Knight recorded 40 years ago. That's all right, though, because Knight produced Brown's album and sang back-up on it. In fact, he wrote all 10 songs. Besides, Brown's vocals are so full and sensuous that she could have sung nursery rhymes and they would have sounded sexy.

Keisa Brown reminds me a bit of Shirley Brown, especially her spoken word introductions to several of the songs. I could live without some of the slick production, but Brown's voice cuts through it with a husky earnestness.

Highlights include "I'm Still in Love With You," "Fly on the Wall" and "Your Love is So Good."
~ Cahl's Juke Joint: A rock, blues and jazz blog

No comments: