Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Mississippi Damned

Mississippi Damned is a new movie based on a true story about three poor black children in rural Mississippi that reap the consequences of their family's abuse addiction and violence. Many of the songs in the movie are from Malaco.

Music Supervisor, Dan Wilcox, was asked a lot of the music came from a company in Mississippi can you talk to me about that decision and what do you think it adds to the film? He said, "My primary concern with approaching this movie was authenticity. My goal was for someone from a small-town in Mississippi to be watching the film and say "how the hell did they know about THAT song?". I had heard of the label Malaco Records because as a DJ I had a couple of their 12"'s in my collection, knew it was a label in Mississippi. When I mentioned the label in our first music meeting, Tina remembered commercials the label would run on local TV in her home town when she was growing up, so I felt we might be on to something. But upon doing some research I discovered Malaco is still a rather large independent label with tons of authentic blues, soul, hip-hop & gospel music from the region with big-timers like Z.Z. Hill, Dorothy Moore, Latimore & Mahalia Jackson... artists who ultimately ended up in the film."

Watch the Trailer here.

6 comments:

danielle.royster said...

I watched the movie once and I've been recommending that people watch it because it depicts a very real picture that poor African Americans go through. If you have DISH Network, you can watch the movie on channel 327 which is The Movie Channel. It also plays in HD so you can watch a crystal clear picture. I work and subscribe to DISH Network and I am using the HD Free for Life promotion so I get to watch this show and any other show on this channel in the best quality possible and the best thing about it is I will never pay another penny for it. DISH offers HD Free for Life on their lowest package which is the America's Top 120 and DISH still offers the most HD channels out of any of the competitors. I always recommend DISH Network and I am inviting anyone who comes across this post to explore the endless possibilities with DISH Network and experience a value unheard of by any other TV provider!

*Danielle

Unknown said...

Could someone please tell about the last piano piece at the end of the movie, what's the name of it and how can i get a copy of it? Please email ne at m_quinn71@yahoo.com

Unknown said...

Could someone please tell about the last piano piece at the end of the movie, what's the name of it and how can i get a copy of it? Please email ne at m_quinn71@yahoo.com

Unknown said...

A movie so familiar to a lot of young girls lives. Growing up in a household of dysfunction and no one to turn to about the truth of sexual abuse in the family! So you hold on to the little bit of hope you have left for self. Thank you!!! This movie brought tears to my eyes and brought back memories we buried long ago...So thank you again for telling our story!

Unknown said...

A movie so familiar to a lot of young girls lives. Growing up in a household of dysfunction and no one to turn to about the truth of sexual abuse in the family! So you hold on to the little bit of hope you have left for self. Thank you!!! This movie brought tears to my eyes and brought back memories we buried long ago...So thank you again for telling our story!

Unknown said...

This movie definitely hit home. Brought back so many childhood memories.